How to store flower seeds? How to store flower seeds?
Good storage conditions and scientific processing and storage management methods can prolong the life of seeds, improve the sowing quality of seeds and maintain the vitality of seeds. On the other hand, if the seed storage work is not done well, the seed vitality and vitality will decrease, and the germination ability will be so low that it cannot be used as seed, and the whole barn seed will be hot and rotten, and it will not be able to turn into commercial, nor can it be used as food for human and livestock, so that the economy will suffer heavy losses. The following small series will introduce you to some flower seed storage methods and tips.
What are the common storage methods for flower seeds?
1. Dry storage.
Most flower seeds can be collected this way. First dry the seeds, remove their impurities, put them into gauze sewing bags, such as a string of red, cockscomb flowers, etc., do not put them into glass bottles or plastic bags, airtight, affecting seed respiration. The seed bag can be hung in a cool and ventilated place indoors and kept at room temperature of 5℃-10℃.
2. Wet storage.
Lotus, peach blossom, plum blossom, rose, southern bamboo, water lily and other flower seeds, its water content is high, in order to maintain its vitality stored in a high humidity environment. Put it in a low temperature, wet place wet storage, can replace the pre-sowing treatment, direct sowing can emerge.
There are three common wet storage methods:
① Water storage method
Put the seeds in bags and store them in running water. Seed storage must be clean, free of silt and rotten grass. stake the seeds around to prevent them from being washed away by water. Aquatic flowers such as lotus, water lily, water hyacinth, and oak seeds are suitable for water storage method. Water storage method can only be used in places where river water does not freeze in winter, otherwise it is easy to cause seed freezing.
② Wet sand burial method
The seeds are buried in wet sand for storage. The volume of wet sand is about 3 times that of seeds. The humidity of sand should not be too high. The temperature should be controlled at 2℃-3℃. If the temperature is too high, the seeds will germinate and mold easily. If the temperature is too low, the seeds will be frozen.
Sand storage time varies according to flower species, such as azalea seed storage period of 30-40 days, begonia seed storage period of 50-60 days, yellow cotinus, flowering plum seed storage period of 70-90 days, Chimonanthus seeds can be stored for more than 100 days.
Can be harvested peony, peony seeds, etc., placed in 0℃-5℃ low temperature wet sand, such seeds under natural conditions, there is a period of dormancy, after dormancy and ripening. Take it out about a month before sowing and sow it in spring. This method is not suitable for small seeds because it is difficult to select them from the sand.
Bulbs, bulbs and other seed balls such as taro, canna, dahlia, etc., should be dug out of the soil in time before frost, dried for 2-3 days, placed in a low temperature, air circulation, humid indoor, covered with wet sand storage. However, it should be noted that the sand covered should not be too wet to prevent mildew, and the room temperature should be maintained at 5 ° C-10 ° C. It is too high to germinate, and too low to produce freezing damage.
③ Pit method
Dig a pit 1-1.5 m deep in the back sun of high terrain, dry soil and loose soil. The length and width depend on the number of seeds. A layer of gravel or coarse sand is laid at the bottom of the pit, and then a layer of coarse sand and a layer of seeds are stacked. The humidity of sand should be held in hand, but no water should be produced. 20 cm above the ground, no longer seed, instead of covering the soil. In order to prevent seed mildew, every 1 meter vertical straw or sorghum stalk, to facilitate ventilation, heat dissipation.
2. What is the secret of flower seed storage?
1. Clearance. Rubbish, chemical fertilizer, pesticide, etc. in the warehouse shall be paved with linoleum paper as moisture-proof layer to reduce ground moisture absorption by seeds. Dilute with 80% dichlorvos emulsifiable concentrate and spray, close doors and windows for 48 - 72h (h) and ventilate for 24h (h). Don't smoke the barn.
2. Reasonable stacking. There are many varieties of flower seeds and different grades, but the number of seeds is generally small. In the warehouse, it should be placed on a shelf about 50 cm away from the wall and 50 cm away from the ground, and signs should be made to indicate its location, quantity, packaging, etc. to prevent mixing.
3. Timely ventilation. Seed respiration produces a lot of heat, timely ventilation can cool down and dissipate moisture. Generally speaking, the principle of "clear rain closed snow blocked, dripping ice can pass, early open late open afternoon less open, night fog can not open" is the principle. Natural ventilation is adopted for ventilation, and mechanical ventilation is available if conditions permit.
4. Be diligent in inspection. The warehouse should be inspected in time, and the moisture content and germination rate of seeds should be inspected after summer or winter. Temperature and humidity meters shall be set up at different points of warehouse, and shall be measured regularly and recorded by designated personnel. Be sure to maintain the low temperature and low humidity environment of flower seed storage to prevent seed mildew or reduced germination rate.